There is little doubt that the Argentina Navy is a hurting, aging service with little in the way of modernization to be had on the horizon. Its core strength comes from its Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) surface force which accounts for over 40% of total strength. Beyond this is a concentration on a corvette force but many of these vessels are aging out or have exceeded their acceptable 30-year hull lifespans - some examples surpassing forty years of service. The modest destroyer force is 13.3% of total strength but, again, age is a major factor in their availability and usefulness. Corvettes comprise 30% of all strength followed by a patrol force strength of 43.3%. Overall the service covers its basics, leading to an avergae Force Balance rating but many key systems are aging, leaving the service behind its regional rivals.
The following represents an overview of the modern naval fighting capabilities of the Argentine Navy (2023). The service currently counts 31 total units in its active naval inventory. This total includes frontline commissioned vessels but excludes smaller patrol vessels, auxiliary / survey ships, replenishment, and historical ceremonial types. The WDMMW review takes into account specific categories of warships covering attack, defense, and general support designs. Inventory numbers and related unit types are provided as-is and derived from publically-available information / sources. "On Order" totals found at the bottom of this article are related to any future hulls currently under procurement/construction though said hulls may not be delivered for service in the current year for various reasons.
Updated: 11/05/2022 | © www.WDMMW.org
Hulls developed for undersea/submersible operation; nuclear-powered or conventionally-powered.
NOTES: Despite both Santa Cruz and Salta being available, both boats currently hold reserve status in the Argentine Navy fleet - officially maked as inactive.
Multi-mission hulls developed for Blue Water environment; operating independently or as part of the main surface fleet.
NOTES: Argentina classifies the Almirante Brown-class as destroyers though their qualities are more akin to Frigates; ARA Heroina D-12 is labeled as In Reserve; notes indicate the vessel may be completely out of service and possibly scrapped altogether.
Hulls defined as dimensionally smaller than frigates but larger than OPVs, capable of operating independently or as part of the main fighting fleet.
NOTES: ARA Drummond and ARA Guerrico are said to be In Reserve status.
Offshore Patrol Vessels (14)
Hulls defined as OPVs and outfitted for the purpose of close-to-shore defense / deterrence.
Concp. d. Uruguay
NOTES: ARA King P-21 is used for training purposes; ARA Zurubi was refitted for extended service life and recommissioned in 1993.
Amphibious Assault (2)
Hulls designed specifically for the support of amphibious-minded, offshore / close-to-shore operations.
Bahia San Blas
NOTES: ARA Hercules is held In Reserve, not operational since 2020; ARA Bahia San Blas is utilized primarily as a cargo ship.
©2023 • Content ©2021-2023 WDMMW.org • All Rights Reserved. The WDMMW.org logo, its written content, and watermarked photography are unique to this website (unless where indicated) and is protected by all applicable domestic and international intellectual property laws. This resource uses publically-released imagery from the US DoD, the Russian MoD, the Chinese MoD, the Royal Australian Navy, the Royal Canadian Navy and others as well as manufacturer marketing photos - no endorsement of this site by these parties/entities should be implied. Illustrations of products are copyright WDMMW.org (and are marked as such) and not for reuse/republication. Information found across this site, verified through publicly available sources, is assumed to be accurate at the time of publication.Material presented throughout this website is for historical and entertainment value only and should not to be construed as usable for hardware restoration, maintenance, or general operation. Part of a network of sites that includes , , and . WDMMW.org is a sister site to . No A.I. was used in the generation of this content; site is 100% curated by humans.
©2023 www.WDMMW.org • All Rights Reserved • Content ©2021-2023 (2yrs)